Learning The Basics - Decentraland
A Decentraland avatar is a customizable character which will represent you inside the virtual world. Essentially, owning an avatar is like registering a username / account on any given website. You do not need to own an avatar to visit Decentraland, you can simply login as a guest. See Getting Started for more info, or first learn how to control your avatar here.
Registered avatar required to explore: No
Registered Avatar Cost: 100 MANA + Ethereum gas fee (approx. $3)
Maximum avatars per email or digital wallet: 1
Is my username/avatar an NFT? Yes
Can I sell my avatar and username? Yes
- You can jazz up your character with Decentraland wearables, available to buy on the official marketplace or the Opensea marketplace.
- Ownership of each registered avatar username is represented by an NFT and recorded on the blockchain.
- Registered usernames can be bought and sold on the official Decentraland marketplace.
- The 100 MANA fee is burnt and removed from the total currency supply
- If you register a username, but later decide to change it, your previous username will become available for somebody else to register.